OUTwrites continues to meet every 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 8pm-10pm, online. Be sure to join our facebook group or message us on facebook or instagram to find out how you can still attend our video conferences. We will continue to meet this way until further notice.
Help us spread the word about our events: https://www.facebook.com/events/674895769945185/
Join our group here:
Also, find us on instagram
If you are fascinated by people, the way they act, think, communicate and most importantly why and what made them the person they are, then playwriting might just be your jam. Each session will explore some of the topics listed below as well as writing exercises that incorporate what you are working on in that session.
Please help us spread the word! https://www.facebook.com/events/1241147309402542/
- Creating multi-dimensional characters
- how to give them stakes so their behaviour is believable
- exploring stereotypes without the cliches
- fictionalizing people you know, situations you’ve experienced, and even yourself
- Writing monologues
- Keeping your dialogue distinct for each character
- Ways to turn issues you are passionate about into theatrical scenes
- Comedy as a revolutionary tool
- Making sure you have actually written it in the play
- Picking a style
Three Free Sessions at The 519 (519 Church)
- Oct. 24: Creating characters, exploring stereotypes, stakes, distinct dialogue.
- Nov. 28: Writing monologues and scene work, picking a style, how to fictionalize real life especially yours
- Jan. 9: Comedy as a revolutionary tool and other ways to get your message across through your characters and the lives you give them. Making sure that it’s all in the play and not still in your head.
Marcy Rogers is a writer/performer whose works include the Dora nominated Nocturnal Emissions, Psycho Bitch From Hell: An Intimate Evening With Satan and the short story IMHO which opens the award winning anthology Friend. Follow. Text #storiesFromLivingOnline.
OUTwrites meets every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at The 519 Community centre at 519 Church St., Toronto, ON.
Join us for our 2019-20 Season!
OUTwrites is a queer writing group where writers of all levels and forms (poetry, fiction, scripts) are welcome. We do writing exercises to get you inspired and if you bring copies (6-8) of your work, we provide a forum for reader feedback. Spread the word!
Current dates (meetings are held at The 519 on Church St. every second and fourth Thursdays from 8pm to 10pm and are subject to The 519’s schedule)
2019 Fall/Winter Session (9 sessions) – click interested and share our fbook event
Sept. 12, 26; Oct. 10, 24; Nov. 14, 28; Dec. 12; Jan. 9, 23;
2020 Winter/Spring Session (9 sessions)
Feb. 13, 27; Mar 12, 26; Apr. 9, 23; May 14, 28; June 11
2020 Summer Session (4 sessions)
July 9, 23; Aug 13, 27